'George' was donated to Leamington in 1960 by T. A. Dorey of the University's classic department who reported at the time that it had been found abandoned at Tamworth Station. The lid remained at Leamington Art Gallery in storage until 1991 when it was then lent to Birmingham City Museum and Art Gallery and was recognised as the lid presented to the University in 1904.
The mummy lid has been identified as belonging to a man named Ahmose and is made from approximately 15 pieces of sycamore wood.
For details of the full story click here.
|'George' - Image from The Courier|